Monday, February 23, 2009

St. Thomas Aquinas' Says WAT?!

I personally think that Aquinas' best and worst way would be the third way, as the best, and the first way as the worst.

The third way talks about the two types of objects in the universe which are contingent beings and necessary beings. He says that contingent being is an object that can not exist without a necessary being causing its existence. Which means that we as humans cannot exist without the help of others and we existed through the help of others. Which is true because we as humans are always trying to solve the mystery of how we came to be and then we always turn to god for the answer. We turn to God because nothing else makes sense and we have to have an explanation and it is better to say that god did it than it is to leave the question blank. Its like when you take a test and you don't know the answer to the problem but your teacher says to guess so that you might even get some credit. We use god to answer the problem we can't solve by ourselves.

The worst wave to me was the first way because in it he talks about motion and how that an object in motion is put into motion by some other object or force. Which makes sense for some things but not all because i am typing this on my own and their is no other object that is moving my fingers but my brain and nothing is putting my brain into motion. I f god is the mover of all things then I personally think that it would take a while for us to move because, I know God is powerful and all knowing, but can he really be everywhere at the sometime and having people move and go about their daily life. If god really is the unmoved mover then won't he need a mover as well.

So you see somethings the Aquinas said might be true but either way the all need to modified so that they can apply more to us.

1 comment:

  1. Good summary. The text for the Augustine post is not visible when I click the link. 12/12 for week 2.

    ReplyDelete